Buckle is an old American term for a simple, single-layer cake made with blueberries (blueberry buckle) or other berries.
- 3/4 cup white sugar
- 1/4 cup shortening
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup milk
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups fresh blueberries
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C). Grease one 8x8 inch pan.
- Cream together 3/4 cup sugar, shortening, and egg.
- In a separate bowl mix together 2 cups flour, baking powder, and salt. Stir into sugar mixture, alternating with milk. Stir in blueberries. Pour into greased 8x8 inch pan.
- To make topping: Combine 1/2 cup sugar, 1/3 cup flour, cinnamon, and butter. Sprinkle over cake batter.
- Bake at 375 degree F (190 degrees C) for 25-30 minutes. It will seem slightly undercooked.
Amount Per Serving Calories: 319 | Total Fat: 10.8g | Cholesterol: 34mg