I have some pork I need to use. I think I will make Cuban sandwiches. I like to use Hawaiian rolls/ bread as the recipe indicates use a sweeter bread. A non-sweet Cuban bread recipe follows.
Classic Cuban Midnight (Medianoche) Sandwich
- 4 sweet bread rolls
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup prepared mustard
- 1 pound thinly sliced cooked ham
- 1 pound thinly sliced fully cooked pork
- 1 pound sliced Swiss cheese
- 1 cup dill pickle slices
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- Split the sandwich rolls in half, and spread mustard and mayonnaise liberally onto the cut sides. On each sandwich, place and equal amount of Swiss cheese, ham and pork in exactly that order. Place a few pickles onto each one, and put the top of the roll onto the sandwich. Brush the tops with melted butter.
- Press each sandwich in a sandwich press heated to medium-high heat. If a sandwich press is not available, use a large skillet over medium-high heat, and press the sandwiches down using a sturdy plate or skillet. Some indoor grills may be good for this also. Cook for 5 to 8 minutes, keeping sandwiches pressed. If using a skillet, you may want to flip them once for even browning. Slice diagonally and serve hot.
Amount Per Serving Calories: 1453 | Total Fat: 88.4g | Cholesterol: 275mg
From Carrot Jello
5-6 cups flour
2 T yeast (yes Tablespoon is correct)
2 T sugar
1 T salt
2 cups hot water
Mix 4 cups of flour with yeast, sugar and salt. Pour in hot water and beat with mixer for 3 minutes. Stir in remaining flour until no longer sticky. Knead the dough right in the bowl you were mixing it in (no need to make a huge mess on the counter with flour, just keep it in the bowl). Let rise 15 minutes in a greased bowl. Punch down.
Divide into two round loaves and place on a baking sheet. Cut an X on top of each loaf. Put in a cold oven. Add a cake pan filled with water onto the bottom rack of the oven. (This is the secret to crusty bread) Heat oven to 400 and bake 40-50 minutes.