I should have had a V8.

Maybe like 12 of them in 2006, before they expired.  I popped one open and guess what?  Yep, it's still good.  You knew I was going to say that.

Zucchini and Tomatoes
From my friend PC
Makes about 6 cups

8 cups chopped zucchini
8 oz chopped tomatoes or 1-15 oz can tomatoes
1-11.5 oz can V8 or 1 cup tomato juice
1 T. dried onion
Salt to taste
Season with desired spices

Combine all ingredients in a large saucepan.  (Sometimes I saute my zucchini first in olive oil)  Bring to boil.  Reduce heat and simmer until sauce is thicken to desired consistency.    I cook until it starts to get kind of sloppy.  I add another cup of juice if I use Roma tomatoes.  Serve over pasta or in tortillas.  Use it in a sandwich or on a pizza.  Or place in skillet and top with cheese.  Cover and heat until cheese is melted.  The suggested cheese is Swiss but use whatever cheese is desired.  Cooked meat could also be added.  Try bacon.

Make it into a soup by thinning with water and adding cooked pasta and/or beans. Make it into a creamed soup by adding cream or milk.  Cook it down more and use as pizza sauce. 

This sauce (without meat) can be water bath canned.  Process for 40 min.  For a similar method using sauce instead of juice go here

Make your tomato juice with a 4:1 ration water to paste.  

2 comments:

Whitney Elizabeth said...

Tastes good with rice too

Taryn said...

haha. this made me laugh.