Fresh Arugula Meets Old Tomatoes

I picked about a 1/2 bushel of arugula from my garden. I used it in this yummy pasta dish. Did I mention I also use some of my old marinated dried Roma tomatoes? No? It must have slipped my mind.


Penne with Turkey, Arugula, and Sun-Dried-Tomato Vinaigrette

Source: Quick from Scratch - Pasta
Yield: Serves 4
Peppery arugula adds a distinctive bite to this appealing dish, but if arugula is unavailable, you can substitute watercress with similar results.
RECIPE INGREDIENTS
6 reconstituted sun-dried tomato halves, chopped
2 cloves garlic, smashed
1 1/2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
3/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon fresh-ground black pepper
1/3 cup plus 1 tablespoon olive oil
1 pound turkey cutlets, cut into 1/2-by-1 1/2-inch strips (I used one can of chicken)
6 ounces arugula (about 3 bunches), cut into1/2-inch strips, or 5 ounces (1 bunch) watercress, large stems removed
1/2 pound penne


DIRECTIONS
In a blender, combine the sun-dried tomatoes, garlic, vinegar, 1/2 teaspoon of the salt, and 1/4 teaspoon of the pepper. Blend until a paste forms. With the machine running, add the 1/3 cup oil in a thin stream.
Sprinkle the turkey with the remaining 1/4 teaspoon each of the salt and pepper. In a large frying pan, heat the remaining 1 tablespoon oil over moderate heat. Cook the turkey, in two batches if necessary, until just cooked through, about 3 minutes. Do not overcook. Transfer the turkey to a large bowl and add the arugula.
In a large pot of boiling, salted water, cook the penne until just done, about 13 minutes. Drain, toss with the turkey and arugula and the tomato vinaigrette, and serve warm.

Since my dried tomatoes are marinated, I didn't use any of the spices. I blended my dried tomatoes, making a paste and then added the oil with the blender running. I didn't need to reconstitute them either as they are packed in oil.



Nutrition Facts per Serving
Yield: Yield: Serves 4
Calories: 552
Fat. Total: 24g
Fiber: 2g
Carbohydrates, Total: 46g
Sodium: 521mg
% Cal. from Fat: 39%
Cholesterol: 70mg
Protein: 37g

No comments: