Freezer Burned Turkey

Why does it look like you are cooking turkey that looks like its been in a bag in the freezer for a hundred years?

Guess.

And who is going to eat that caveman food?

Guess again. 

Make Ahead Gravy 
Makes 3 cups (recipes claims 6 cups)

Ingredients




  • 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
  • 2  (about 1 1/2 pounds) turkey wings, separated at joints  (I used old cooked turkey from the freezer, two wings and a leg)
  • 1 large onion, quartered
  • 2  carrots, each cut into 4 pieces
  • 2 stalks celery, each cut into 4 pieces
  • 1 clove garlic
  • 1/2 cup apple cider (my substitution for white wine)
  • 2 cans (14 to 14 1/2 ounces) chicken broth
  • 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
  • 1/2 cup all-purpose flour

Directions
  1. In deep 12-inch skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat until hot. Add turkey wings and cook 10 to 15 minutes or until golden on all sides. Add onion, carrots, celery, and garlic, and cook 8 to 10 minutes or until turkey wings and vegetables are browned, stirring frequently.
  2. Transfer turkey and vegetables to large bowl.
  3. Add cider to skillet and stir until browned bits are loosened. Return turkey and vegetables to skillet. Stir in broth, thyme, and 3 cups water; heat to boiling over high heat. Reduce to medium-low; simmer, uncovered, 45 minutes. Strain into an 8-cup measure or large bowl; discard solids.
  4. Let broth stand a few seconds until fat separates from meat juice. Spoon 1/4 cup fat from broth into 2-quart saucepan; skim and discard any remaining fat. (Because my turkey was already cooked, I had to add fat.  I used butter.)
  5. Add flour to fat in saucepan; cook, stirring over medium heat until flour turns golden brown. Gradually whisk in reserved broth and cook until gravy boils and thickens slightly, stirring constantly. Pour gravy into 2-quart container or medium bowl; cover and refrigerate. Adjust seasonings to taste. 
  6. At serving time, reheat gravy and add pan drippings from roast turkey if you like.  Can thin with milk.  








2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ok, I love your blog & have read through many of the previous posts. It is hilarious! But I have to ask- why is it that you seem to have all this incredibly old food hanging around in the first place? Do you have a compulsion to buy food that you don't really need? I have that problem sometimes with really good sales, but I usually only buy things that have a very long shelf life and that I know I will be able to use (like canned tomatoes, dried beans, rice, pasta, etc). Or do you purchase food with every intention to use it quickly, but are too busy, too forgetful (or, like me, too lazy)? I am just curious...

Tarnation said...

This make me crack up! Sigh. I think you have summed it up perfectly.